Perfect for vegetarians and to be enjoyed on a cold evening. The colours of the dish give it a real Autumn/ Winter feel and is great comfort food. I decided to make this dish through my love for sweet potatoes and the simplicity of it all. Yet you can fool anyone into believing you spent hours standing over a hot stove and your home will smell lovely.
900g sweet potatoes
1 large onion finely chopped
2 tbspn chopped thyme
150ml red wine
400g tinned chopped tomatoes
150ml vegetable stock
2 large carrots
1 tbspn tomato puree
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 / 180 degrees celsius
- Heat some olive oil in a large pan and add the onions and carrots. Leave for 2 mins and then add the thyme.
- Then add the mushrooms and pour in the red wine and tinned tomatoes. Add the tomatoe puree and leave for 1 min.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and leave to simmer on a medium heat.
- Take a large oven dish and add the chopped aubergienes and olive oil. Place in the oven and roast gently, checking on them and adding more olive oil if needed.
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes and add these to a pan of boling water. Leave to boil for 15 mins or until tender.
- Check on the vegetables. If the liquid has almost simmered down drain the potatoes and mash. Add a little bit of butter.
- Take the aubergienes from the oven and pour the vegetable mixture over the aubergienes. Spread the mashed potatoe on top and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Place in the oven for 15-20 mins or until golden.