As it is strawberry season I decided to make some strawberry jam. It is easy to make and the end product is delicious.
500g preservative sugar
juice of half a lemon
- You need to sterilise to jars you plan to store the jam in. Wash the jars and dry them before putting them in the oven a medium heat for 20 mins. Then take them out of the oven to cool down.
- Put a small plate in the fridge
- Cut the tops of each strawberry and cut in half. Place in a large pan and pour over the sugar and lemon juice
- Put the pan on a low heat and let the sugar dissolve
- Once the sugar has dissolved put the pan onto a high boil. Once it starts boiling away get the timer out and put it on for 10 mins
- After the 10 mins test the jam by taking a plate out of the fridge and putting a spoonful onto the plate. If the jam hardens up a bit and is not runny then it is ready. If not, put this onto boil for another 10 mins. It took me a second go but for some the jam is ready after the first 10 mins
- Leave the jam to cool in the pan for 15 mins
- After the 15 mins pour the jam into each jam jar. It will still be a bit runny as it is still hot. Put the lids tightly onto each jar and leave to one side. After an hour the jam will have properly set. Leave to cool completely before using
- Keep one jar in the fridge for use and store the rest in a cool, dark cupboard for up to 1 year
[…] I made some strawberry jam and to make the most of all the jam (cupboards are fully stocked up!) I decided that scones would […]