Strawberry season over here in Berlin is short. It is just for a couple of months where one day there will be stands on every street corner selling them and the next they will all be gone. You have to act quick to enjoy Berlin’s short seasonal produce!
Banana bread is one of my favourite cakes. It is easy to make, tastes delicious and always goes down a treat. This recipe is also delicious compared to the dry looking slices you see when waiting for your Starbucks coffee in the morning.
I am certainly making the most of strawberry season!
1 tbpsn baking powder
100g caster sugar
2 large free range eggs
1 tspn vanilla extract
150g strawberries (hulled and diced)
3 bananas (peeled and mashed)
100g butter (softened/ room temperature)
Juice of half a lemon
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4/ 180 degrees Celsius. Grease a loaf tin with butter.
- In a large mixing bowl add the sugar and butter and whisk using an electric hand whisk until the mixture is creamed together.
- Add the eggs and then mix again with the whisk. Pour in the vanilla extract and lemon juice and give it another quick whisk.
- Fold in the flour and baking powder and stir using a wooden spoon, Mix the mixture until it forms a thick cake batter.
- Add the bananas and strawberries to the batter and mix well so that everything is full combined.
- Pour into the cake tin and place in the oven for around 50 minutes or golden and well risen. Put a knife in the cake and if it comes out clear then it is ready.
- Leave to cool and then slice up and serve.