Making your own tomato soup is really easy. Soup is a great evening meal after work as it is light and easy to eat after a long day. The problem with the shop bought tins of soup is that these are packed with salt making them incredibly unhealthy. It will surprise you just how unhealthy a small bowl of soup can be.
I make my own soup and tomato soup is the quickest of them all. This takes maximum 30 minutes to make and the end result is delicious.
Serve with some fresh crusty wholemeal bread on the side. Enjoy!
Ingredients: (serve 2 medium size bowls)
8 medium/ large tomatoes
3 cloves garlic (crushed)
2 tbpsn balsamic vinegar
2 tbpsn olive oil
1 large onion (finely chopped)
handful of fresh basil
low fat creme fraiche
black pepper/ salt
- Preheat the oven to it’s highest setting. Roughly chop the tomatoes and add them to an oven dish. Add the crushed garlic and olive oil and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime add the onion, pinch of salt and balsamic vinegar to a large saucepan. Gently cook the onions on a low heat.
- After 15 minutes take the tomatoes out of the oven and pour into the large saucepan. Stir in the fresh basil (leaving a few leaves aside for later) and black pepper and cook on a high heat for 3 -4 minutes.
- Put all the ingredients into a blender and whizz until smooth.
- Serve in bowls, with a tbpsn each of creme fraiche and a few fresh basil leaves to garnish.