The sun is finally shining again over here in Berlin and I am certainly making the most of it after a rainy week.
This egg fried rice recipe is a real winner for the working week. It is easy to make, tastes delicious and will stop you from ordering a take out option that will be loaded with calories.
Ingredients: serves 2
100g basmati rice (cooked according to packet instructions)
1 tbpsn ground nut oil (or vegetable oil)
70g frozen peas (de-frosted)
1 small onion (finely chopped)
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
handful of spring onions (finely chopped)
1 red pepper (finely chopped)
1 tspn dried chilli flakes
2 large free range eggs
Juice of 1 lime
ground black pepper/ salt
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan/ wok and once hot add the onions and garlic with a pinch of salt. Cook on a medium heat for around 2 minutes.
- Add the red peppers and chilli flakes and cook for a further 4 or 5 minutes – occassionally giving the vegetables a stir.
- Add the peas to the pan with some black pepper.
- Add the rice (fluffing it up with a fork) to the wok and create a gap/ dip in the middle. Beat the eggs in a small mixing bowl and then pour into the middle of the pan. Leave for 1 minute on a medium heat and then stir so that the eggs cover the rice and starts to cook and break away into shreds.
- Stir in the spring onions, coriander and lime juice and leave to cook for a further 1 minute – constantly giving it a stir.
- Take the pan off the heat and garnish with more coriander and black pepper if needed.
- Serve with some lime wedges.