I am loving the sunshine over here in Berlin at the moment! The weather is hot, the sun is shining and I am spending my lunch breaks sitting by the river. But that’s the problem with Berlin, when it get’s hot it really does feel hot! Being stuck on the tram after work is pretty awful and the air feels so still. Sometimes the heat can be a bit too much when you have to rush about your daily life. Not that I am complaining! After the long Berlin winter I am loving the sunshine!
For me, dinner has to be really easy. Something that takes no time at all in the oven, or a light salad. I definitely do not want to be standing over any hot pans in this weather!
This Salmon Niçoise recipe is a perfect one for a summer supper. Light, refreshing and easy to make, leaving me with enough time to enjoy the warm evening with a gin and tonic!
Ingredients (serves 2)
2 salmon fillets
2 large handful of watercress
a small amount of rocket
handful of green olives (or you can use black)
8 cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
half a cucumber (diced)
fine green beans (ends trimmed)
4 medium free range eggs
4 medium potatoes
a few lemon slices
black pepper/ sea salt
For the dijon mustard vinaigrette:
2 tspn dijon mustard
4 tbpsn olive oil
1 tspn white wine vinegar
juice of half a lemon
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 5/ 190 degrees celsius.
- To make the vinaigrette: Add everything to a small bowl and mix together.
- Put the salmon in an oven dish with the lemon slices. Place in the oven for around 20 – 25 minutes.
- In a separate small oven dish add the green beans and 1 tbpsn olive oil with a bit of lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt. Place in the oven until the salmon is done.
- Add the eggs to a pan of water and put on a medium heat. Bring to the boil and leave the eggs to cook for 10 minutes.
- Pop the potatoes in the microwave for around 10 minutes. And also pop the tomatoes in the oven.
- Plate up the watercress, rocket, cucumber and olives. Take the tomatoes out of the oven and scatter them over the plate.
- Drain and peel the eggs. Cut them in half and place around the edge of each plate. Cut the potatoes in half and also place around the edge of each plate.
- Take the green beans and salmon out of the oven. Plate up the beans in the middle of each plate and the salmon on top.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over each dish and then garnish with black pepper.
Loving the recipe!