During the week I try and keep my meals simple and light. By the time I get home after work I am not in the mood for cooking a complicated meal and if I am faced with this then I will just skip it and go and eat out! But what do I do when there is a more special occasion? A friend is coming over for a catch up dinner, a celebration or a quick last minute dinner plan … I don’t always want to go out and instead have it at home.
This is my favourite hassle free recipe to quickly rustle up after work. If you buy good quality salmon and cook the filling right then this is such a delicious dinner your guests will think that a lot more hard work went into it! And don’t forget to save this recipe for the weekend. This a favourite Sunday dinner in my apartment!
I make this with low fat creme fraiche. A lot of people tend to serve Salmon en croûte with potatoes on the side but the puff pastry is rich enough that I find a simple salad on the side works well.
- 700g salmon fillet (skinned and de-boned) - alternatively just use 2 salmon fillets and line them next to each other.
- 2 leeks (finely chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and crushed)
- Handful of watercress (roughly chopped)
- Small bunch dill (roughly chopped)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tspn wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbpsn low fat creme fraiche
- Black pepper
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 roll ready made puff pastry
- Heat the oven to gas mark 6/ 200 degees celsius
- In a saucepan heat a dash of olive oil and then add the leeks and garlic. Leave this to gently sweat for 4-5 minutes.
- Mix in the mustard and lemon juice and then the creme fraiche. Season with a bit of black pepper and mix well. Leave to cook on a gentle heat for a couple of minutes. Take off the heat, stir in the watercress and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry and lay the salmon in a line down the middle. Pour the leek mixture on top of the salmon and then fold one side of the pastry over. Repeat this with the other side and tuck the edges firmly. Brush the top with the beaten egg and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Once out of the oven gently slice into large piece and serve with a simple salad on the side.