Yesterday was Blue Monday, known as the most depressing day of the year. It is typically on the third Monday of January when motivational levels have dropped since the new year, new me promise, the weather is miserable, it feels like a lifetime until the next payday and many are missing family and friends and the merry feeling we get from Christmas. Of course, there is no evidence that it really is the most depressing day of the year but there is no doubt in the fact that January can feel like a bit of a slog.
Even if you are feeling the pinch after the Christmas spending it doesn’t mean that you can’t eat healthy and delicious food. Healthy eating is not expensive as long as you are realistic in your approach to it. This Pork Stroganoff with Coriander and Parsley Rice is absolutely delicious and good, honest food. This is one my regular mid-week meals where I pack in a few more mushrooms and include plenty of spinach and leeks. I use pork fillet as this is a tender cut of meat and quick to cook, perfect for after work or a long day. The creamy sauce spiced with good quality hot Hungarian paprika makes this the most comforting of dishes and particularly perfect this time of the year to warm up with.
This recipe serves 4 but even if you are making this for just 1-2 people I recommend to still make a big batch and pop the rest in the freezer for another night. Pork is typically a cheaper cut of meat and when I buy a bag of spinach I tend to add this into my other meals that week, making it a cost effective meal to feed the family that doesn’t need to break the bank!
- 450g pork fillet (sliced into thin strips)
- 1 leek (thinly sliced)
- 1 small onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 200g chestnut mushrooms (or another small mushrooms) (halved and roughly sliced)
- 150ml plain sour cream
- 50ml dry white wine
- 2 tspn wholegrain mustard
- 1 tspn English mustard (or dijon)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbpsn paprika
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach (can also use frozen)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 tbpsn tomato puree
- Basmati rice
- Small bunch fresh coriander (finely chopped)
- Small bunch fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- Olive oil
- Salt/ pepper
- Cook enough basmati rice per person and cook according to packet instructions.
- In the meantime heat a dash of olive oil in a large, deep frying pan. Once hot add the onions, garlic and leek and cook for a few mins until the onions are starting to turn golden. Then add the pork fillet and mushrooms and cook for another 2-3 mins until the pork is lightly browned.
- Add the tomato puree and paprika and then pour in the sour cream and white wine. Mix well and leave to gently simmer for just 3-4 mins.
- During this time take the cooked rice and mix well with a fork. Then mix in half of the fresh parsley and all of the coriander.
- Take the pan of pork off the heat and stir in the fresh spinach, rest of the parsley and juice of half a lemon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the stroganoff with the rice.