It is no secret that Vietnamese food is one of my favourite cuisines to cook. It is fast, fresh, healthy and tastes absolutely delicious. There is no shortage of Vietnamese restaurants in Berlin but making your own is quick and tasty. You can buy most ingredients from a local Asian store.
This is one of my favourite recipes to cook. I love the zingy, spicy taste of the chilli sauce, the lemongrass taste of the pork and the crunchy, fresh salad on the side.
Exberliner Column: Pork Bun Cha
- 300g rice noodles (soaked in hot water for around 5-10 minutes)
- For the salad:
- 3 heads romaine lettuce (chopped)
- Half a cucumber (de-seeded and cut into thin matchsticks)
- 2 tbspn peanuts
- Handful of fresh coriander
- Handful of Thai basil
- For the pork patties:
- 300g minced pork
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
- 1 tspn dried chilli flakes
- 2 lemon grass stalks (outer stalk removed and finely chopped)
- 2 shallots (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 75g breadcrumbs
- For the dressing:
- 2 tbspn rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbspn sesame oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tspn dried chilli flakes
- For the pork patties: Heat a large pan with 1 tbpsn sunflower oil. Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix well. Roll into small patties and then add to the pan, cooking on each side for around 6-7 minutes.
- For the salad: mix everything together in a large bowl.
- For the dressing: mix everything together in small bowl and leave to one side.
- Drain the pork patties on some kitchen paper. Plate up the salad with a few rice noodles on the side. Top with the pork and then pour a bit of the dressing on top.
- Garnish with a few peanuts and more fresh coriander.
Leave a Reply