I have long been making a Banh Mi. I was first introduced to it years ago when Coco Banh Mi Deli opened up in Berlin and because a regular lunch spot. I am a big fan of grabbing a sandwich for lunch as I don’t always want something really big and feel that sometimes those ‘grab n go’ lunches offer something still delicious on a busy and short lunch break. And while I like to sometimes prepare ahead for those days that I know will be packed with meetings and a very quick desk sandwich with the classic Egg Mayo for a Prawn and Rocket filling, you just can’t beat the freshness of a delicious Banh Mi.
My Classic Banh Mi that has been on my blog for many years is still a regular of mine to make. I especially make it a lot in the summer months, for those blistering hot evenings when you are not that hungry and want to keep the cooking down to a minimum. But I also like to make it for a quick lunch at the weekend, or to use some leftover meatballs and pop them into a baguette ready to take to work for lunch the next day. I am a big fan of those ‘grab n go’ lunches on a busy day when there is not much time for a lunch break and while I like to make a batch of Egg Mayo or Prawn and Rocket fillings, you just can’t the freshness from a delicious Banh Mi!
I add plenty of lemongrass, coriander and chillies to the meatballs. I simply add some soy sauce and lime juice for the vegetables but the star of this meal has to be the chilli paste smothered on each side of the baguette. It is spicy, fresh and so good! You can find the recipe here.
- 300g minced pork
- 2 large carrots (peeled and then grated using a vegetable peeler)
- Handful of fresh rocket (leaves torn)
- 2 spring onions (finely chopped)
- 1 small bunch coriander (finely chopped)
- 1 red chilli (finely sliced)
- Quarter of a cucumber (cut into matchsticks)
- 2 stalks lemongrass (peeled and finely sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and crush)
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- Black pepper
- 2 tbsp dried breadcrumbs
- Sunflower oil
- Chilli dipping sauce
- In a mixing bowl add the pork, lemongrass, breadcrumbs, chilli flakes, a dash of soy sauce and some salt pepper. Using your hands mix into small balls (about 1 tbsp size).
- Heat a dash of sunflower oil in a frying pan. Once hot add the meatballs and cook on a medium heat for around 10 mins. Turning the balls over regularly to cook each side.
- In a separate bowl add the carrots, spring onions, coriander, cucumber and chilli flakes. Pour in the soy sauce and lime juice and mix well.
- Make the dipping sauce.
- Cut the baguette in half and then slice each half in the middle. Brush the dipping sauce on each side of the bread. Stuff each baguette with some rocket and then add the vegetables. Stuff in the meatballs and serve or pack up in tin foil and keep in the fridge for 1 day.