Finding fresh fish in Berlin is difficult but not impossible. It takes a little planning but with a bit of organisation my husband and I enjoy plenty of fresh fish. One of my favourite dinners is a fish platter where I pop to my local Galeria Kaufhof and buy a mix of fresh fish they have on offer that day. I try and go on a Friday straight after work as their fish deli still has a good selection, or I go on on a Saturday morning. I like to buy a mix of squid, prawns, cod and scallops and serve them on a bed of rocket and baked cherry tomatoes. And all the better when washed down with a good bottle of white wine!
I am a big fan of scallops. They are simple to cook and make any dish instantly elegant. Some find scallops a little complicated to cook and I think that is down to the fact they can be overcooked very quickly. Scallops need to be cooked for only a couple of minutes on each side and then served immediately. I marinade them in lemon juice, olive oil and fresh parsley and like to serve them with some crispy bacon. The salty flavour from the bacon goes so well with these buttery, succulent scallops.
- 70g bacon (diced)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 6 scallops
- Small bunch fresh parsley
- 1 tspn dried chilli flakes
- 2 tbpsn olive oil
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice, parsley and chillies to a small bowl. Mix well and then add the scallops making sure they are covered in the oil. Leave to marinade for around 1 hour in the fridge.
- Heat a frying pan with a dash of olive oil and once hot add the bacon. Cook for around 5 mins or until golden and starting to crisp.
- Just before the bacon is done add the scallops to the same pan and cook for just 2-3 mins making sure to cook on each side. Season with some black pepper.
- Plate up some fresh rocket and then add the bacon and scallops. Serve immediately.