I have a new favourite brunch recipe – these delicious Ham, Egg and Mushroom Muffins! I came across the idea for these when thinking about healthy and appetizing breakfasts. I don’t really have that much of an appetite for breakfast until it gets to about 11am and then my stomach is rumbling. I am firm believer that breakfast really is an important meal of the day and that we need to eat something to give us that energy ready for a busy morning. But while I am not going to force myself to eat, I have been pushing myself to eat breakfast more often. I also don’t have much of a sweet tooth and the only things that entice me to eat breakfast often verge on being full-on savoury things.
My Overnight Oats topped with Mixed Berries are of course a favourite but I find them difficult to eat too often – I want something with cheese or salami! I think that must be the German in me, going for the full bread and cheese to kick start the day and while this is a delicious and filling breakfast, it is not for every day. I also love a Porridge topped with Banana and Maple Syrup, the perfect autumn and winter style breakfast. But sometimes, I just have a craving for something with some eggs! I don’t really want to be messing around boiling an egg in the morning (it isn’t difficult but I want to avoid pans and timings!) which is how I came across these delicious Ham, Egg and Mushroom Muffins!
I make these on a Sunday or one evening. They are so simple to make. Simply mix everything together in a bowl and then pour into muffin cases or a lined muffin tin and bake for 12-15 mins. Leave to cool then pop in a container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Each morning just pop one (or two) in the microwave for 60 seconds and a delicious eggy, healthy breakfast is waiting! These are also perfect to make on a lazy Sunday morning and eat warm out of the oven. And if you do have any leftovers then quickly rustle up a salad and have them for lunch one day! Delicious!
- 5 eggs
- 50ml milk
- 300g mushrooms (diced)
- 100g cooked ham (sliced into small pieces)
- Fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- Salt/ pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas 5.
- Line a muffin tin either with muffin cakes OR grease with butter. This will make 6 ham and egg muffins.
- In a mixing bowl crack in the eggs and whisk. Add all other ingredients apart from salt and pepper and mix well until combined. Season with plenty of salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture in the muffin cases and bake for 12-15 mins. Once done leave to cool for 5 mins and if you are not using muffin cases they should easily slot out of the muffin tin holes. Leave to cool for another 2-3 mins and either eat warm or cool completely before placing in the fridge in an airtight container. Will keep in the fridge for 3 days.