I think 2018 is shaping up to be a pretty good summer! Of course while Berlin is hardly a Mediterranean climate I am fortunate to live in a city that experiences proper seasons such as cold winters, blooming springs, crisp and cosy autumns and a scorching summer. Yet this year summer has felt like it did when I very first moved to Berlin. I cannot remember the last time I put on a pair of jeans or tights or when I wasn’t wearing sandals. Apart from the odd drizzly (and much needed to cool down!) day it has been glourious sunshine and I am thoroughly enjoying it!
For me summer is all about that alfresco dining. I make a lot of effort to keep my balcony in order, regularly watering and looking after the plants, keeping it clean and lighting up lots of little candles for the evening. We don’t have a BBQ on our balcony but I prefer to use my griddle pan to heat up some meats and fish and serve some fresh salads and vegetables on the side such as some Koftas, Souvlaki, a Potato Salad and of course burgers!
The other month I mentioned how pleased I was to finally find decent, fresh burger buns from a nearby bakery, Bekerai. I was always a little disappointed to go to the effort in making delicious burgers with all the sides for them to be destroyed by a bland, dry and crumbly burger bun. But ever since finding this delicious bread, burgers have become a regular summer treat! My favourite has to be a Rosemary Beef Burger topped with Goats Cheese and a Red Pesto Mayo but it is always good to have a go-to fish burger, like my Prawn Burger with a Tartare Sauce and of course a veggie burger like these delicious Halloumi Aubergine Burgers with a Harissa Sauce!
These burgers can be made in 20 minutes. I cut the halloumi and aubergine into thick slices and grill them using a griddle pan but you can easily put these onto the bbq!
- 2 packs halloumi (cut into thick slices, you will have 8-10 slices in total)
- ½ aubergine (cut into 8 round slices)
- 1 small pot creme fraiche
- Juice of half a lemon
- 3 tsp harissa paste
- Olive oil
- Salt/ pepper
- 1 small bunch fres parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 4 burger buns, rocket and other salad garnishes for the burgers
- In a small mixing bowl add the creme fraiche, garlic, lemon juice, harissa paste and parsley. Season with salt and pepper and mix well. Place in the fridge until needed.
- Heat a griddle pan. Brush the aubergine slices on each side with olive oil. Place on the hot pan and griddle on each side for 2 mins. Place in a low heated oven to keep warm.
- Add the halloumi slices to the pan and cook on each side for 2-3 mins. Place in the oven to keep warm.
- Slice the burgers. Pop each side face down in the griddle pan for just 1 min.
- Take each burger and add a dollop of the harissa sauce on the base. Top with some rocket and any other garnish then top with the aubergines followed by the halloumi. Add a final spoonful of the harissa sauce on top and then repeat with the other burgers. Serve right away.