My New Year’s resolution is to cut out the junk food. Not that I constantly order on the take aways and fast food but it is easy to become tempted during a quick lunch break or at the end of a busy day. During the week, when I have less time, I like my food to be both fast and fresh. After a hectic day I am not always up for a full on dinner. I just want a bit to eat which is where it is easy to fall into the trap of popping out for a burger, a subway at lunch or a box of noodles on the way home.
This recipe is my version of a quick Subway equivalent. It is easy to make, fresh and quick to eat while crashed out in front of the TV. The oozy gorgonzola cooked with mushrooms give that real comfort food feel and it is packed full of fresh salad.
- 1 ciabatta (ends cut off and cut in half)
- 100g gorgonzola (cut into cubes)
- Handful of mushrooms (sliced)
- Black pepper
- Mixed salad (cucumber, lettuce leaves, rocket, tomatoes)
- For the dressing:
- Juice of half a lemon
- 4 tbpsn olive oil
- 1 tbpsn golden honey
- Add the mushrooms to a pan with a dash of olive oil. Cook for around 3 minutes. Add the gorgonzola and cook with the mushrooms for just 1 minute so that the cheese does not completely melt and is still thick. Take the pan off the heat to allow it to slightly cool.
- Cut the ciabatta pieces in half and place on a hot griddle pan/ under the grill for around 3 mintues.
- Add the mixed salad to one side of each sandwich. Spread the mushroom mixture on top.
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing together and then pour on top on the mushroom mixture and over the lettuce leaves.