The summer months can include a lot of tempation to go out and eat. Berlin summers can be quite warm and on some days a little too stuffy. It is so easy to want to just pop to a beer garden after work and grab some food on the way home. But this Goats Cheese, Caramelised Onion and Rocket Tart is one of my favourite summer dishes because it is so quick and easy to make. It takes just minutes to prepare and then just sits in the oven for a short time. It is the perfect dish to make on those warm evenings leaving more time for me to sit on the balcony with an aperol spritz!
I don’t make my own pastry and never have done really. I find it too time consuming and find that shop-bought pastry is just as good. It also means that meals can be put together faster, which is a key thing that I look for when cooking.
You can cook the onions for longer but I find that they still have that caramelised taste by cooking them on a high heat with some balsamic vinegar and a little sugar for five minutes. The rest of the cooking simply involves layering up that pastry with the rest of the ingredients and popping it in the oven. I always serve a big salad on the side and leftovers pack up nicely for lunch the next day!
- 1 roll ready-made puff pastry
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Handful of fresh rocket
- 1 chilli (finely sliced)
- 70g goats cheese (sliced)
- 1 red onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp standard sugar
- 2 tbpsn wholegrain mustard
- Salt/ pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/390F/Gas 6.
- Add the onions to a small sauce with the vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil then keep on a medium heat for around 5 mins. Stir regularly.
- Roll out the pastry. Lightly score the edges with a knife. In between the edges lay out the goats cheese. Then spoon the onions bit by bit in between the pieces of goats cheese. Using a small spoon for the mustard and do the same by spooning little bits of it in between all the gaps. Scatter the chillis on top. Season with some salt and pepper. Brush the edges of the pastry with some egg. Place in the oven for around 20/ 25 mins until golden and puffed up.
- Take the tart out of the oven and leave to rest for 5 mins. Then scatter the fresh rocket on top. Slice up and serve!