I love fried eggs. I can’t help it. I love scrambled, poached, boiled and baked eggs but I absolutely love fried eggs. I am careful to not have these too often. Fried is not the healthiest choice of how I like my eggs that I could have chosen! But even though I am a firm believer that we do need to eat healthy and that unhealthy eating is a major problem in society at the moment, I also believe that we deserve those treats every now and then. We just have to be careful how we enjoy them…
I do not eat fry ups. I end up with too much guilt afterwards and feel a bit bleurgh that I just don’t bother with them. By scrapping all those other fried items on my plate I can replace them with healthier options that still leave me room to enjoy those fried eggs!
I recently made mine with a wholemeal muffin, some fresh rocket and smoked salmon. You can also enjoy this with some avocados or grilled tomatoes.
Top tip: fry the eggs in a small frying pan and measure the oil with a tablespoon. If you use a large pan then yes, you end up with those spread out eggs but you also use more oil to cover the base or a large pan.
Ingredients: serves 2
2 wholemeal muffins (cut in half)
1 lemon (including some wedges to serve)
small amount of fresh rocket
2 large free range eggs
1 tbspn sunflower oil
ground black pepper
low fat spread
- Bake the muffins in the oven for around 3- 4 minutes. Once out of the oven lightly spread each side with some low fat spread.
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan. Once hot crack the eggs into the pan and cook on a medium heat for around 4- 5 minutes or until done just right.
- Add some fresh rocket to the ‘thinner’ side of the muffin. Then lay out the smoked salmon on the other muffin half. Light squeeze some lemon juice on top.
- Scoop the eggs out of the pan (draining off any excess oil) and plate up on top of the salmon.
- Garnish with some black pepper and lemon wedges.