I have recently ‘revamped’ my tomato salsa recipe. Perfect for burgers, nachos or homemade chilli. Tomato salsa is refreshing and it can be healthy. There is no need to use the processed jar stuff. Just make your own and you have yourself a light and healthy dip. I eat more salsa during the summer months when I tend to go on a Mexican cooking craze, but salsa can be enjoyed all year round.
Ditch the shop bought jar of salsa and make your own. Less guilt and more time to enjoy the food in front of you. Enjoy!
handful of chopped spring onions
2 tspn dried chilli flakes
juice of 1 lime
2 tbspn tomato puree
1 tspn plain white flour
- Add the tomatoes to a bowl and pour in boiling hot water. Leave to one side just for 1 – 2 mins. Take the tomatoes out of the bowl and you will find that the skin easily peels off. Roughly chop the tomatoes.
- If you have a food processor then just whizz the tomatoes in the processor for just 3 seconds. We still want to keep some of the chunks of tomato. If you don’t have a processor then just roughly mash with a potato masher.
- Pour the tomatoes into a bowl and add the tomato puree and flour. Mix well.
- Add the lime juice, coriander, chilli flakes and spring onions and mix well again.
- Pour into a serving dish and leave in the fridge until you are ready to serve.