Ah, Eggs Royale! This has to be my favourite brunch dish. In fact, whenever I go out for brunch or a hotel is offering this on their breakfast menu then it is guaranteed that I will order it. Eggs Royale is basically replacing the ham in an Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon. And while many like to call Eggs Royale the more inferior dish (along with the Eggs Florentine that is made with spinach) to it’s popular Eggs Benedict I would argue that this recipe beats them all. Smoked salmon adds that something special to your lazy weekend breakfast and it really is a dish to indulge in.
Berlin has no shortage of places to go out for brunch. Most cafes and restaurants are serving up some kind of brunch on Sundays and the Berliners absolutely love it. I am a little lazy when it comes to going out for brunch and while places close to my apartment such as Allans Breakfast Club (that conveniently turns into a wine bar in the evening!) serve up delicious food I often want to spend my precious Sundays sat in my pyjamas after a long lie in at my table with knife and fork ready to dive into a nice breakfast. It is why this dish works so well because it gives the impression that a lot of work has gone into it but actually it is minimal effort. I like to call this my cheat’s hollandaise sauce as I simply whisk some crème fraîche, lemon juice and a dash of white vinegar together.
- 4 eggs
- 150g smoked salmon
- Fresh rocket leaves
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 1 small pot crème fraîche
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 2 English muffins (halved)
- Poach the eggs. (I like to use an egg poacher as it is easier when making four poached eggs).
- In a small saucepan and 1 tbsp of butter and melt. Then pour in the crème fraîche, vinegar and lemon juice. Whisk until smooth for a couple of mins, keeping the pan on a gentle heat. Stir in the chives and season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- Toast the muffins under a grill or in a toaster for a couple of mins. Cut in half and lightly butter on each side.
- Top each half of the muffin with some smoked rocket leaves and then some smoked salmon. Add a poached egg on top and then pour over the hollandaise sauce.