Many of us are now clocking off work and heading home to spend Christmas with friends and family. I love this time of the year and enjoy heading back to the UK for a couple of weeks of festive fun. And what better way to kick start the holiday than with a special home cooked meal?
This recipe is a perfect one for a dinner party or special dinner whether it is for a romantic dinner, meal with friends or a new years eve special.
The cabbage is cooked with red wine and apples and gently cooked so that it still has a bit of crunch. The duck is super crispy on the outside and tender in the middle. I also serve this with some rosemary potatoes on the side. It goes down a treat every time!
- 1 duck breast
- mixed herbs (thyme, rosemary, oregano)
- 4 or 5 large potatoes (peeled and diced)
- half a red cabbage (finely sliced)
- 150ml red wine
- 2 tspn cinnamon powder
- 1 apple (peeled, core removed and finely chopped)
- 2 slices of butter
- In a large deep pan heat the butter and then add the cabbage. Gently cook and then add the cinnamon and apples. Then pour in the wine and gently simmer for around 45 minutes.
- Head a medium size frying pan and once hot add the duck. Cook on each side for around 5-6 minutes or until crispy and cooked through.
- For the potatoes: add to a large roasting dish with the olive oil and cook for around 40 minutes. Giving them a turn halfway through.