I have made no secret of my love for asparagus, especially the white kind that is hugely popular in Germany. The other week I picked up my first lot of asparagus of the season and made a simple but delicious White Asparagus with Cured Ham and a Chive Sauce. The smokey ham goes so well with the delicate white asparagus and the chive sauce has plenty of fresh lemon juice to add that almost sour kick to the dish. I like to plain boil my white asparagus with a pinch of salt but then once drained I add a little butter and season with a bit more salt and pepper. I often buy a big bunch of white asparagus and this Creamy White Asparagus and Pork Pasta is the perfect recipe to use up any leftover bits of asparagus.
Asparagus itself is so quick and easy to cook that by combining it with some pasta you end up with a simple midweek dinner. I always like to call this my ‘German pasta dinner’ as it includes two ingredients that I feel are really typically German. The first being the obvious white asparagus and the second is pork. Pork is one type of meat that is in no shortage here in Berlin. It is also a cheaper bit of meat and by using pork fillet it is also quick to cook. I still find it difficult to find lamb or nice cuts of beef (other than rump steak, stewing beef or minced beef!) without having to go to a local and expensive butchers that has opening hours not suited to full time workers! I also won’t mention how much my husband spent on our leg of lamb for Easter…
I usually make this Creamy White Asparagus and Pork Pasta early on during the week by using any leftover asparagus from the weekend. I use sour cream and a bit of smoked paprika that adds a gentle heat to the dish and also squeeze in plenty of fresh lemon juice. I have also added a few mushrooms to this dish but you can easily add any other vegetables you have lurking at the back of the fridge. This fresh, easy and delicious recipe is on the table in 20 minutes!
- 300g pork fillet or pork escalopes (cut into small chunks/ pieces)
- Pasta - enough to serve 2 (I used shell pasta and cook according to packet instructions, around 10 mins)
- 1 small pot sour cream
- 1 tspn smoked paprika
- Juice of 1 lemon
- White asparagus (around 200g/300g)
- Handful of button mushrooms (halved)
- Small bunch fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- Salt/ pepper
- Olive oil
- Put the pasta on to boil. Around 10 mins.
- Heat a dash of olive oil in a large/ deep pan and add the pork. Make sure all pieces are browned. Around 3-4 mins.
- Peel and trim the asparagus and then chop into small pieces. Add to the pan with the mushrooms. Stir in the smoked paprika and then pour in the sour cream and lemon juice. Add a splash of boiling water to the pan. Cook on a medium heat for around 5 mins or until the pork is cooked through and the asparagus is tender.
- Drain the pasta and then add to the creamy sauce. Mix well so that the pasta is covered in the sauce.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in the fresh parsley. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Leave a Reply