We have Hemsley and Hemsley to thank for spiralized recipes being so popular and bringing pasta back to those who are gluten intolerent! I don’t have a gluten intolerence but I absolutely love courgetti. I have always tried to cut back on the carbs by using lots of fresh vegetables and courgetti is perfect for this. It may seem like a bit of a ‘health fad’ at the moment but it really is a great alternative to some heavy glutenous pasta and a great way to pack in more of your five a day.
Most supermarkets in the UK now stock ready prepared courgetti but all you need to do is buy a spiralizer and it is cheap and easy to make. While those who have avoided pasta are now happy to have spaghetti bolognese back on the menu you don’t need to need to stop there. I use my spiralizer to make salads by using carrot, cucumber and courgetti and mixing them together with fresh herbs and a creamy dressing, or a prawn laksa with courgetti noodles – a hearty and healthy dish packed full of vegetables in a spicy broth and I love meatballs in a tomato sauce with cougetti. The great thing about courgetti is that it doesn’t really need much cooking. If I am making a salad then I simply just put the courgetti into a sieve and pour some hot water from the kettle over it or I add to a pan with a bit of oil or pesto and cook for around 1 minute.
One of my favourites is this recipe and it is perfect as a side dish or as a main served with some grilled salmon, chicken or prawns. The avocado makes the pesto so creamy and the cashews add a little bit of a crunchy texture to it.
- courgette x 2
- 1 avocado (peeled and stone removed)
- 1 small bunch of fresh mint and fresh parsley
- Juice of half a lemon
- Dash of olive oil
- 50g cashews (plus a few extra to serve)
- Salt and Pepper
- Spiralize the courgetti.
- Add the avocado, fresh herbs, olive oil, lemon juice and cashews to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Heat a large frying pan and add the pesto and the rest of the cashews. After about 1 minute add the courgetti and mix everything together. Cook for around 1 minute and then take the pan off the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- I like to serve mine with some salmon or prawns.