Armed with a tin of chickpeas you can be assured that a healthy and delicious meal is on it’s way! I love chickpeas. They are packed full of protein and high in fibre, iron and zinc. They are also incredibly filling and easy to prepare, making them a perfect lunch or midweek dinner. I find that chickpeas are really versatile. They work well in stews such as a Chickpea and Chorizo Stew, can be made into burgers or turned into delicious hummus. A tin of chickpeas is certainly a store cupboard staple!
This Chickpea, Feta and Rocket Salad is a lunchtime favourite of mine. I used to find lunch a little difficult to cater for and was always uninspired. When I first finished University and started full time work my lunch would consist of a ham sandwich and a sad looking salad of some limp lettuce, soggy cucumber and a few cherry tomatoes. Living and working in central Berlin means that I am not short of places to eat out at lunch. But eating out isn’t actually that accessible. First of all I have days where lunch is a quick 20 minutes meaning that I need something in the fridge waiting for me to ensure that I do actually eat! If I do have the time then I find that eating out isn’t actually that healthy or even tasty. Realistically you are not always going to go to the local deli that serves quinoa salads or smoothies, the delicious sushi bar that is near impossible to get a table or the nice Italian that serves fresh pasta and fish. This leaves a mayo filled baguette from a local bakery or following your colleagues and eating pizza, cheap pasta or something else heavy. I just can’t eat that much at lunch without needing a nap and a lie down.
Something easy like this Egg Salad Sandwich is the perfect grab and go lunch when you know that your day is going to be filled with meetings. I also like to use leftovers and pack these up in a salad for the next day. I often have some leftover meats or cheese in the fridge and so to avoid them going to waste I simply pack up for lunch for a delicious leftover salad. And a Chickpea, Feta and Rocket Salad is the perfect lunch to make ahead! I make this on a Sunday but it takes minutes to prepare. I add some chopped peppers and sundried tomatoes but you can add any other leftover veg or some nuts.
- 1 tin 400g chickpeas
- 1 green pepper and 1 red pepper (chopped into small pieces)
- 70g feta cheese
- 2 large handfuls of rocket (roughly torn)
- Sundried tomatoes out of a jar (4 or 5 pieces is enough)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of half a lemon
- Heat a dash of olive oil in a frying pan. Drain the chickpeas and add to the pan and cook for just a few mins until the chickpeas are warmed through and start to turn just slightly golden.
- In a large mixing bowl add the peppers, sundried tomatoes and lemon juice. Crumble in the feta. Then add the chickpeas and mix well. Season with some salt and pepper and a dash of olive oil.
- Add the rocket to the mixing bowl and mix again one final time. Put into tupperware boxes and places in the fridge until needed. Can be made ahead and kept in the fridge for 3-4 days.