Ah, Easter weekend – we have almost made it! And I plan to sit back, relax and enjoy delicious sweet treats such as these Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting! There is always so much chocolate around at Easter that like my Cointreau Fruit Cake, these carrot cake cupcakes provide a refreshing change. A four day weekend is the perfect opportunity to catch up on some baking, especially if you are having friends and family stopping by. I recently made these for my colleagues. In Germany it is expected that you bring cakes in on your birthday (one tradition I am not so accustomed to..) and I can assure you that these cupcakes will go down a treat!
Just like Christmas, the German’s do Easter really well! Easter is a really important and valued holiday in Germany, much more so than anything I ever saw in the UK. Whether actively religious or not, just as Christmas many Germans love to stick to the little traditions and value the holiday. After a long, cold winter it marks the beginning of spring and a long awaited for holiday since Christmas. Most homes are decorated with little eggs, bunnies and bunting and we have the German’s to thank for the tradition of Easter eggs and the Easter Bunny. Traditionally, homes are filled with flowers and plants on Maundy Thursday ready for the weekend. My favourite is the very popular Easter Tree, which is basically a load of twigs and branches that have little Easter eggs hanging off them that is supposed to represent new life and the colour of spring. There are Easter egg hunts, bonfires and plenty of traditional foods to be eaten.
With all that in mind I really think we could learn something from a German Easter. To appreciate that long weekend and spend time with either friends or family, to recover and relax if you are not traveling and more importantly to look forward to the Spring and a new season. Who need’s mindfullness when you can spend a four day weekend following the German Easter traditions and a load of these Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting!?
The cupcakes themselves are a simple cake batter with some cinnamon and grated carrot mixed in. The cream cheese frosting has a sprinkling of walnuts on top but you can easily leave these out.
- 250g finely grated carrot (around 2-3 medium carrots)
- 1 tspn ground cinnamon
- 200ml sunflower oil
- 3 medium eggs
- 250g plain white flour
- 1 tspn baking powder
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 1 tbpsn golden syrup
- 200g cream cheese
- Light squeeze of lemon juice
- Handful of walnuts (crushed)
- 110g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line the pockets of a muffin tray with muffin cases.
- Beat the eggs, sunflower oil and brown sugar together until smooth. Fold in the flour, baking powder and cinnamon using a wooden spoon gently stir until well combined and thick batter. Stir in the grated carrots and gently mix until well combined again.
- Evenly distribute the cake mixture between each muffin case. Then bake in the oven for around 20 mins or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool completely.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled beat the cream cheese, dash of lemon juice and icing sugar together until smooth. Spread on top of the cupcakes and garnish with some crushed walnuts.