This is such an easy and delicious recipe that I have made this a starter to a dinner party and also as a main meal for a real comfort treat. The thick and creamy soup has such a warming effect and it is a real classic!
I make this with stilton that is quite hard to find in Berlin. Luckily I have a small cheese shop near to my apartment that sells blocks of stilton. Alternatively you can make this with any other kind of blue cheese such as gorgonzola and is a great recipe to use up any leftovers. Some people add cream when cooking the soup but I find that the cheese makes this rich and creamy enough without the extra cream added into the mix!
I serve this with some garlic bread on the side that is my cheat’s version. Buy a nice and fresh ciabatta and stuff it with plenty of fresh garlic and herbs and drizzle with some olive oil. It saves you the time in making the bread from scratch and but means that you don’t need to buy the ready made supermarket versions that are basically just butter and salt. You can find the full recipe for my cheat’s garlic bread here.
- 1 large onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 celery stick (finely sliced)
- 1 leek (finely sliced)
- 2 small potatoes (peeled and cut into small chunks)
- 1 slice of butter
- 1 litre of hot vegetable stock
- 1 head broccoli (roughly chopped) and a few bits of the chunky part.
- 140g stilton (crumbled)
- Salt/ pepper
- Olive oil
- Heat a dash of oilve oil in a large saucepan and once hot add the onions and garlic with a pinch of salt. Gently cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the celery, leek and potatoes with the butter. Mix everything together until the butter has melted. Add the lid and leave everything to sweat for 5 minutes.
- Take the lid off the pan and pour in the vegetable stock. Add the chopped broccoli head and a few bits of the chunky bit. Bring the pan to a gentle boil and leave to boil for around 15-20 minutes or until all the vegetables and soft.
- Take the pan off the heat and using a hand blender blend all the mixture together until smooth. You should end up with a thick and creamy texture.
- Stir in the crumbled stilton into the soup and then give it another quick blend for just around 30 seconds.
- Season with some black pepper and serve.
Leave a Reply