I don’t really know what to say about this recipe…! It is definitely one of my more heavier dishes that’s for sure but it is also one of the most delicious! Blue cheese and sweet onions are a very classic combination which is why this burger recipe works so well. And of course, any burger should include some kind of sauce to give it that juicy, gooey comfort. I am a big fan of BBQ sauce and making your own is incredibly easy and delicious!
I love a burger and in recent years especially Berlin has significantly improved on the burger front. In fact, it is now getting to the point where I question if another burger restaurant is really needed whenever a new one opens up. When I first moved to Berlin there really wasn’t much on the good old burger front. You could easily get hold of a cheap burger from a late night opening that served flimsy, floppy bits of meat tucked between some stale bread with a limp slice of lettuce and plastic cheese. Maybe some bacon if you were lucky. Back then the place to go for a decent burger was The Bird, and I am pleased to say that this place is still going strong and has grown it’s business by opening up additional locations around Berlin. The meat at the bird is juicy and the burgers are made from good quality beef. Another favourite place of mine is Tommi’s that is conveniently located near to Brewdog! Some people have complained that the burgers are a little on the small side but I find them filling enough. I also like how they stick to just three or four burgers, keeping the choice short and simple and focusing on quality.
This Blue Cheese Burger with Caramelised Onions and BBQ Sauce is the perfect recipe if you are hosting a BBQ! It really is delicious and everyone will be coming back for more!
- 600g minced beef
- 2 red onions (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 2 tbpsn balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of sugar
- 200ml ketchup
- 2 tbpsn worcestershire sauce
- 1 tspn wholegrain dijon mustard
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tspn tomato puree
- Small bunch parsley (finely chopped)
- Salt/ pepper
- Olive oil
- Burger buns, lettuce, tomatoes etc to serve.
- 150g gorgonzola
- For the BBQ sauce: Add the worcestershire sauce, ketchup, tomato puree, mustard, lemon juice to a mixing bowl and mix until well combined. Season with a little salt and pepper and place in the fridge until needed.
- For the caramelised onions: Heat a dash of olive oil in a small sauce pan and add the onions. Cook on a medium heat for 4-5 mins until starting to soften and then pour in the balsamic vinegar and a pinch of sugar. Stir well and keep on a gentle heat for around 10 mins until the liquid has dissolved and the onions are soft and caramelised. Stir regularly.
- For the burgers: Add the meat, garlic, parsley, 1 tbpsn of breadcrumbs and salt, pepper to a large mixing bowl. Using your hands mix the ingredients together until well combined. Then roll into 4 patties. Heat a dash of olive oil in a frying pan and then once add the burgers and push them down slightly so they flatten. Cook on each side for around 2-3 mins for medium rare, 5-6 mins for well done. Then top the burgers with the blue cheese and pop under a hot grill for around just under 1 minute so the cheese can melt.
- Take a burger bun and slice it. Add any extras you like for example lettuce, tomato and then place the burgers on top. Top with the caramelised onions and serve with the BBQ sauce!