The weekend for me is all about a lazy brunch and a pot of tea! When I was younger I used to hate Sundays. I saw it as a waste of a day with not much to do and associated a day of rest as something negative and boring. These days Sunday is my favourite day of the week. It is a day to switch off, enjoy a lie in with a good book, a delicious breakfast, a long walk in the fresh air or a relaxing afternoon in front of the tv.
In Germany the shops are all closed on Sunday which I have actually come to love and appreciate. It forces me to get up and get the jobs done on a Saturday morning leaving the rest of the weekend free to relax and Sunday is the only day that happens. Cafes and restaurants are full of friends or family having a brunch or late lunch, parks are filled with kids playing while parents sip on a coffee and watch on and the streets are lined with couples going for a leisurely walk that often, in our case, ends up in the pub! Whenever I am back in the UK I am sad to see the supermarket car parks packed full and shops spilling out with moody teenages and grumpy parents who also have no desire to actually be spending their Sunday hauled up in some busy supermarket. It is one of the things that I love about living in Berlin and something that I have really come to respect.
These Bacon and Spinach Baked Eggs are one of the best ways to start a weekend. I know how I like my eggs and that is of the runny kind! I do enjoy scrambled eggs but in my opinion the best eggs are with the yolk oozing out ready to dip in some bread to scoop it all up! I quickly fry up some bacon until just lightly golden in order to get a little crunch to it and then line the pots with it. I then add some spinach to the bottom of the pots and top with crème fraîche before adding the egg. Dipping in some thinly sliced toasted bread to scoop up bit of crème fraîche, soft boiled egg, spinach and salty bacon is absolutely delicious! And even better when washed down with a good cup of tea!
- 2 rashes unsmoked bacon
- 2 large eggs
- Fresh chives (2 or 3 bits, finely chopped)
- Handful of fresh spinach
- 2 tbpsn crème fraîche
- Salt/ Pepper
- Sunflower oil
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Heat a dash of sunflower in a frying pan and fry the bacon for just 1-2 mins on each side. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Add the spinach to the pan the bacon was cooked in and cook for just 2-3 mins until the spinach has started to wilt.
- Line some ramekins with the bacon and then place the spinach at the bottom of each ramekin with tbpsn of crème fraîche. Crack in the egg and then bake in the oven for 12-15 mins until the egg white is set and the yolk is runny.
- Take out of the oven and season with some salt and pepper. Top with the chives and serve with some bread on the side!
Leave a Reply