I love this time of the year in Berlin as it is packed full of public holidays although it is probably one of the things I miss the most about the UK. The UK has plenty of Bank Holiday Monday’s whereas in Germany a holiday is always on a specific date and therefore can easily fall on a Saturday or Sunday. This year May 1st falls on a Monday which means we actually get a long weekend! And what better way to spend the weekend than enjoying a lazy brunch?
I am not the best when it comes to breakfasts during the working week. First of all I am not home all day to start cooking up eggs, mushrooms and bacon. I need to be out that door sharpish. But I have started to make time for a simple weekday breakfast. Overnight Oats with Frozen Mixed Berries is a favourite of mine and I often top with different fruits to mix it up a bit. I also like a smoothie such as Apple, Banana and Spinach or Frozen Mixed Berry and Banana as they are quick and easy to make. But the weekend is when I have more time to sit down and actually enjoy a nice leisurely brunch. Mexican Style Scrambled Eggs are my husbands favourite and I love the heat from jalapenos and chilli to kick start the day! I also love to dip crusty bits of bread into Bacon and Spinach Baked Eggs to scoop up that runny egg yolk with bits of salty bacon. My husband and I really value the weekend – and especially long weekends! – after a hectic working week and there is something really special about sitting down with the paper, a pot of tea and a delicious brunch before heading out for a long afternoon walk. This Avocado, Spinach, Smoked Salmon and Scrambled Eggs is the perfect fuel for the upcoming long weekend! It is simple to make and uses fresh ingredients making this a quick and healthy brunch!
I use pumpkin seed bread but you can use any other type of bread.
- 2 slices of bread (toasted)
- 4 or 5 eggs
- 1 avocado (peeled, stone removed)
- Handful of fresh spinach
- Smoked salmon (about 4 slices/ around 70g)
- Salt/ pepper
- 1 lemon (cut in half)
- Heat a small slice of butter in a large pan. Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl and add a dash of milk (about 2 tbpsn). Whisk the eggs. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Then pour the eggs into the pan and leave for around 1 min (do not mix). After 1 min give the eggs a light mix so that the egg breaks into large chunks then leave to continue to cook for another minute or so. Take the pan off the heat and give the eggs one final mix. You wan't thick, smooth scrambled eggs and not a crumble of eggs. Keep warm.
- Add the avocado to a small bowl and mix it with a fork. Season with a little salt and pepper and a small squeeze of lemon juice.
- Put the spinach into a sieve and pour some boiling water from a kettle over the spinach until it wilts. Squeeze out any extra liquid.
- Lightly butter the toasts and spread the avocado on top. Top with the spinach and a piece of the smoked salmon then add the eggs on top. Add the final piece of smoked salmon on top and lightly squeeze another small amount of lemon juice. Season with a bit more black pepper if needed.