This salad is one of my favourite dishes. It is full of healthy fats and protein and is a real go to lunch of mine as it gives me plenty of energy while keeping me going until dinner time. I have recently cut down on my avocado consumption. Last year I got a little swept up with the whole clean eating craze that I was adding avocado’s to everything and getting through them like there was no tomorrow. In actual fact, no one needs that many avocado’s in their life! But I love them and especially how versatile they are. Yes I am also a big fan of avocado on toast, but I eat it with actual bread, you know, how toast should be! Not a ‘toasted’ sweet potato or some kind of fake bread. Real bread. And I actually enjoy a green smoothie every now with both avocado and spinach. But not every day and it doesn’t mean I don’t eat a cheeky full English breakfast sometimes. Or that I have never indulged in a bacon sandwich oozing with brown sauce. Because avocado’s are for real people too, it is just such a shame that they have become so popular that prices are rocketing and availability is limiting.
I like to make this salad for work or on a busy Saturday when I have lot’s to do. If I am taking this to work then I chop up the avocado just before eating to avoid having chunks of brown/ grey in my salad. I keep it simple by just serving a big handful of rocket but it is the dressing that is my real favourite. It is creamy and tangy and perfect with the salmon and avocado. I use crème fraîche, some fresh dill and plenty of lemon juice. This is a very quick and easy lunch to prepare. It can also served as a side dish at a BBQ or picnic.
- 1 large avocado (peeled, stone removed, sliced)
- 150g - 200g smoked salmon (roughly torn)
- 2 handfuls of fresh rocket (torn in half)
- 1 small pot crème fraîche
- Juice of half a lemon
- Small bunch fresh dill (finely chopped)
- Salt/ Pepper
- Olive oil
- In a small mixing bowl mix together the crème fraîche, lemon juice and fresh dill. Season with salt and pepper.
- Plate up the rocket and then scatter the smoked salmon on top. In between the pieces of smoked salmon add the avocado slices. Then drizzle spoonfuls of the dressing on top.
- Lightly drizzle some olive oil over the dish and season with a little more black pepper if needed.