What is on your meal plan this week? I have a busy week ahead and as always it is something quick and easy during the week for me! Which is why I love this Asian Noodle Salad. The only thing you have to ‘cook’ really are the noodles. Everything else is simply just chucked together.
Cooking quick doesn’t have to be boring on unhealthy. This recipe is easier and is packed full of flavour compared to an ‘easy’ pasta bake with a shop bought sauce that is packed with salt and then smothered with loads of grated cheese. I find that if you can cook with lots of spices and fresh vegetables then you get that flavour that will make you want to cook even more. This is why Asian food is one of my favourite cuisines to cook – and not the British influenced kind that involves rich, creamy sauces – but real fresh food with a zingy, spicy taste to it!
This is a regular mid week meal of mine. If you want to be a bit healthier then you can replace the egg noodles with some rice noodles. It only takes 20 minutes max to make.
Ingredients: (serves 2)
2 large handfuls of fresh coriander
Handful of chopped spring onions
Egg noodles (enough for 2 people)
2 medium carrots (grated)
1 red pepper (finely sliced)
Handful of peanuts
1 tbspn sesame seeds
For the dressing:
2 tbpsn dark soy sauce
1 tbpsn sesame oil
1 tspn rice wine vinegar
2 tspn dried chilli flakes
2 lemongrass stalks (outer layer removed and finely chopped)
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
juice of 1 lime
- Put the noodles into a pan of boiling water and cook according to packet instructions. If you are using egg noodles then it should be no longer than 10 minutes.
- Gently grate the carrots into a large mixing bowl. Add the red peppers, spring onions, coriander, beansprouts and sesame seeds.
- Drain the noodles and separate them so that they do not stick together in chunks with a spoon. Add to the bowl with the vegetables.
- For the dressing: add everything into a small mixing bowl and mix together. Pour the dressing into the bowl with the noodles. Mix well so that the dressing covers all the ingredients.
- Plate up the noodle salad and garnish with more coriander and some peanuts. Serve with some lime wedges.