Yesterday I made some strawberry jam and to make the most of all the jam (cupboards are fully stocked up!) I decided that scones would be a real treat. A pot of tea and a scone – what better way to spend a Sunday afternoon?
I made mine the ‘traditional’ way without sultanas but if you want to use sultanas just add 75g worth.
250g flour (plus extra for dusting)
1 tbspn baking powder
a pinch of salt
50g caster sugar
1 medium free range egg
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/ 180 degrees celsius
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a large mixing bowl. Then add the butter and mix everything together with your fingers. It should turn into a crumble
- Then add the milk and egg. Using an electric hand whisk mix everything together until it becomes a soft kind of dough
- Dust a surface with flour and roll out the dough. Make sure it is about 2cm thick and cut using a 5cm/2in cutter
- Place onto a baking sheet and put in the oven for 12- 15 mins (until golden brown)
- Leave to cool
- Cut each scone in half and serve with jam and clotted cream
[…] to get you through the winter than plenty of jars of strawberry jam in the cupboard? Think of those scones on a cold, winter day that are covered in jam – reminding us of those sweet, summer days! […]